Wednesday, April 20, 2011

80's music doesn't lie


It's been official for about a week now, I've signed up for the Warrior Dash in Kansas City on July 30th, 2011. That means I have approximately 16 weeks to train. I'll be the first to admit I have bitten off something completely larger than I can chew right now. I'm hoping motivation & support from this blog will keep me going as I endure the grueling training leading up this daunting 5k.

I know, some of you are thinking a 5k? Isn't that only 3.1 miles lady? Yes, yes it is. PLUS 11 'obstacles from hell' says the warrior website. Honestly, I have never enjoyed running. I remember having to run a (singular, a) mile in high school. I cried by the end and didn't even finish it in the allotted time. And even though I have lost some weight, unfortunately I still have about 80 pounds of extra weight on me that doesn't exactly make running easy. This picture of me to the left is current, my new 'before' warrior dash picture. Will see how much butt I can kick and gut I can lose by the event.

I've decided to use the couch25k program - er, make that - couch 2 warrior program. I'm still on week one, which equates to 5 min warm up, then 60 seconds running, 90 seconds walking - for 20 minutes, three times a week. I've tried this program in the past and never moved beyond week one. Starting week two next week, ready or not - here I come. I can do this. Because, you see apparently - I'm the warrior. At least that's what the song (and my current ringtone) The Warrior by Scandal tells me. And 80's music doesn't lie.

5 comments:

  1. yeah, I'm thinking you are, like, one of my most significant heroes! I LOVE your words!!! I'm so proud of you. You will be amazed at how much stronger you are than you think!!! You GOT this!!! love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica i will try and do a version of this with you from today on - i will get to the park here at lunch time and do this running and walking thing more seriously - 20 minutes is very doable - you are a very good motivator - keep up the GREAT work. won't be long and Liam wil be running beside Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guuuuuuuuuuuuurl puh-lease! You've got this. I am super duper proud of you and you are setting such a good example for little Liam.

    ReplyDelete